Legal Secretary Resumes
By Sayaka Seino
A chronological format is expected of a legal secretary's resume; a functional resume is not recommended in this field and will most likely result in your resume being discarded. Don't make the mistake of getting too unconventional with your resume in this case. Instead, present your employment history in the familiar chronological format and highlight the specific achievements and responsibilities held at each previous position.
A legal secretary's resume should not only show interest and aptitude in the position, it should go one step further and display how the candidate has applied his knowledge to provide positive results. All certifications (such as notary public or paralegal) should be covered in the resume, as well as any experience with software heavily used in the legal profession (i.e. Lexis Nexis). Below is a good example of a legal secretary's resume:
1234 Anywhere Avenue,
Anywhere, New Jersey 00000
STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS
Paralegal with more than 12 years of diversified and progressive legal experience. Highly organized with strict attention to detail. Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills; adapts quickly and easily to new career demands.
Proskauer Rose LLP , New York, NY 2001-Present
- Work closely with and assist attorneys with all facets of discovery and trial/arbitration preparation.
- Assist attorneys on preparing witnesses for deposition and assist at depositions; assist in client initial interviews.
- Assist in translations in immigration proceedings and criminal matters; work with pro bono cases, including the Homeless Experience Legal Protection Program.
- Supervise support staff.
- Provided support to six attorneys related to general and product liability litigation as well as medical asbestos cases; acquire information from medical experts, and formulate reports required; update reports and prepare cases for trial conferences.
- Develop and maintain excellent rapport with attorneys in group.
- Train new paralegals.
- Worked closely with and assisted attorneys with all facets of discovery and trial preparation in cases related to insurance and computer law.
- Supervised a support staff in various administrative and support areas; displayed a highly developed “management by example” style of leadership; trained support personnel in the firm regarding policies and procedures.
- Effectively drafted pleadings, scheduled depositions, prepared correspondence, and managed firm's financial information; proofread legal briefs, and scheduled client appointments.
- Interfaced extensively with clients.
- Acquired comprehensive knowledge of insurance laws.
- Organized and reviewed all files, managed office/legal inventory, monitored document production and retrieval; maintained firm's law library.
- Assisted employment litigation attorneys and paralegals in work related to employment law cases; formulated correspondence, maintained legal files, organized files, opened and closed legal matters.
- Worked closely with head legal labor group secretary in a support role; supervised, motivated and trained support personnel; supervised college interns.
- Served as sole legal clerk for a 30-plus attorney division.
- Wrote business briefs, telemarked for the Business department; initiated current client lists.
Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations-Human Resources Studies, Ithaca, NY 2006
Certificate of Completion
Fairleigh Dickinson University, Paralegal Studies Program-ABA Approved, Teaneck, NJ 1997
Certificate of Completion
Rutgers University, Newark, NJ 1996
Bachelors of Arts in Journalism, minor in Political Science
Completed Lexis-Nexis Paralegal Mastery Program; Fluent in Spanish